How best to help someone who is grieving
Many a time we do not know what type of support or comfort to give a family or friend who is grieving. The best support to give someone is as follows:
- Acknowledge the situation.
- Express your love and concern for the person who is grieving.
- Offer your support e.g. chores and roles.
- Ask the bereaved person how they feel and listen to them.
- Be there.
- Listen some more.
- Give reassurance and hope without minimising the loss.
- Offer to help with errands.
- Avoid telling the person to be strong.
- Continue to offer the support after the first shock.
- Check with the person on anniversaries e.g. death, marriage, birthdays of the deceased.
September 2018 – Life must go on
Coping with loss and grief – emotional and spiritual wellness
DISCLAIMER: The thoughts contained in this article are obtained from research. The writer is not a mental health specialist but is curious to learn on how to deal with personal loss and grief. The series “Life must go on” is a spiritual and emotional wellness journey in this month of September 2018 by the lead writer and a guest contributor to the blog. For professional help in coping with loss and grief please seek the help of an accredited and duly registered mental health specialist or counsellor.